If you're considering Flexera Flexnet Publisher as your software licensing solution, there are some key questions to ask beforehand, particularly if you're a rapidly growing business.
- How will I manage license reconciliation and the processing of licenses?
- Using Flexera means that licenses that are checked back in need to be recorded, reconciled and accounted for. This requires a human process. With the 10Duke Entitlement service, the entire reconciliation process is automated with licenses allocated dynamically. This means you can reduce the size of your license reconciliation and fulfillment team and license and deliver products using a much more scalable licensing engine.
- Can I offer my customers the software licensing options they want and expect so I keep my products competitive in a cloud-based, on-demand world?
- Customers are getting used to and asking for pay as you go access to software. Perpetual license models are no longer sufficient and to stay competitive, you need to be able to offer flexible models of access to your product line. From pay-as-you-go, aggregate use time, single-user fixed time, company-wide floating licenses and many more, licensing model options enabled by the 10Duke Entitlement Service offer greater flexibility than that hardware locked model of Flexnet Publisher.
- Does my software licensing solution help me understand how my customers use my products?
- 10Duke Entitlements allows you to see how your customers are using your applications. When they are logging in, how long they are using the application for, from what device and many other factors. This allows you to understand user preferences and tailor your products in response. Usage insights such as these aren't supported with Flexnet Publisher.
- Does my software licensing solution support selling to customers that have complex organisation structures?
- Model B2B licensing requirements demand a license engine that has the flexibility to reflect and meet the organisational complexity of the licensee - departments, business units, project team and project team members. It needs to be able to cope with issues licenses that map neatly to the existing structure of your customer, but retain a one invoicing/purchase point. Flexnet Publisher isn't flexible enough to meet those needs.
- Can the software licensing solution support integrated customer information management?
It is likely that the internal application you use needs to have access to customer information; CRM, ecommerce, fulfillment, and customer support are the most likely. Identity-based licensing, which underpins the 10Duke Entitlement Service, enables you to keep a single view of each end user and provide that information simply to each internal application that needs access to it, keeping customer data in sync.
There are a variety of other questions to ask when considering software licensing solution to deploy:
- Does the solution require my customer to deploy anything on their premises?
- Does the solution require the delivery of license keys to the customer and can this be done scalably?
- Is the overall solution architecture elegant and simple to integrate to or is it more complex, with multiple potential failure or friction points?
- Is there a hardware dependency on field-deployed dongles? If so, how am I practically going to support these?
For each of these questions, the 10Duke Entitlement Service offers simple, scalable and proven solution. Deployed by leading software and media companies around the world, it offers a flexible and cost-effective alternative to Flexera Flexnet Publisher.
The table below summarises how 10Duke Entitlements compares to Flexnet Publisher and please see the case studies for examples of how 10Duke Entitlements has been deployed by some of our customers to address their need for a scalable software licensing solution.
|Supported Source of entitlement triggers|
|Service desk app||yes||no|
|Usage / over-usage|
|Aggregate use time||yes||no|
|Time of day||yes||no|
|License token / lease formats|
|JWT (JSON Web Token)||yes||no|
|Web-based user interface|
|For service desk||yes||no|
|Licence reconciliation and processing|
|Month to month||yes||no|
|Multi-year minimum contract||no||yes|
|Pay as you grow||yes||no|
|Typical Contract Term|
|Month to month||yes||no|